|Project||Environment Officer (Carbon Reduction)|
|Organisation||Bedford Borough Council|
Environment Officer (Carbon Reduction)
This is a superb opportunity to help develop and deliver carbon reduction projects for Bedford Borough Council to help meet its 2030 Carbon Neutral target. You will utilise your passion for sustainability to engage with a variety of departments across the council, external stakeholders, businesses and community groups. This role at Bedford Borough Council is ideal for someone with a background and interest in environmental subjects and great communication skills.
Employer: Change Agents UK Trading Ltd
Client: Bedford Borough Council
Number of Positions: 1
Salary (per annum pro rata): £19,500
Start Date: June 2021
Contract: Fixed Term - 12 Months
Who are Bedford Borough Council:
Bedford Borough is located within the East of England between Milton Keynes and Cambridge. It benefits from fast rail links with London and is well placed for access from both the M1 and A1. The local authority is a unitary council and currently has a population of 168,751 with 72,900 households. The Borough itself is largely centred on the town of Bedford, which sits along both sides of the River Ouse, but it also encompasses a large rural area to the north of Bedford which boarders the County of Northampton.
More information about the Council including its structure, functions, plans and strategies can be found here: https://www.bedford.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/about-the-council/
The role will sit within the Waste and Resources service area and work with the Energy and Water Technical Officer.
• Passion for Sustainability
• Good Communication
• Integrity and Respect
• Commitment to delivering environmental projects to reduce the councils CO2
We need a dedicated and enthusiastic individual to help support the development and delivery of climate change adaptation and mitigation projects for Bedford Borough Council. You will work collectively within the Energy Team and other departments/ services to help the Council achieve its 2030 Carbon Neutral target.
• Educated to a Higher level or Degree level in an environmental or related subject. Or experience working in a similar role.
• Passionate about sustainability and climate change and excited to make a difference by motivating change.
• Able to evaluate data and produce and present reports.
• Knowledgeable on energy management and climate change including theory, practise, policy, procedure and legislation.
• Highly literate and fluent in English, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficient in IT, particularly all Microsoft Office applications including Excel (Intermediate to Advanced Level)
• Able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills within a team and with key stakeholders.
• Able to work independently and make decisions within defined procedures.
• A Qualified driver - driving license essential.
In an ideal world, you are also:
• Experienced in researching, analysing and interpreting technical information.
• Able to demonstrate project management knowledge and skills, including setting clear objectives and priorities, realistic timescales and outputs, and monitoring performance.
• Highly effective interpersonal, negotiation and influencing skills to persuade others of the need for urgent change on environmental (climate) issues.
• Able to identify, recommend, implement and manage energy efficiency improvements.
• Knowledgeable of issues relating to climate change and the local community, with a proven ability in co-ordinating campaigns working with communities, schools, or other groups.
• Experienced in working in the energy management, climate change or sustainable development fields in local/national government or other large public organisations.
What’s in it for you?
This is a fantastic opportunity to engage with and address climate change in a tangible way. You will be working with likeminded people and engaging with the local community on a range of challenges and opportunities.
You will build on a variety of core skills including developing and sustaining effective working relationships, communication, negotiation and influencing behaviour change.
CAUK reference: 2398
Annual leave: 26 days pro rata + public holidays
Work outside normal hours: Role may require (not often) some evening and weekend work to attend events and meetings
Probation period: 1 Month
Reports to: Energy and Water Technical Officer
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK and documentation is required to support this.
Information on placement terms can be found at www.changeagents.org.uk/information-employment-terms
Application Deadline: Sunday 9th May 2021, Midnight
Telephone Interview Date: w/c 10th May 2021
Interview Date: Dates TBC (w/c 17th May 2021)
Anticipated Start Date: June 2021
Change Agents UK Trading Ltd is acting as an employment business as defined under the Employment Agencies Act 1973 and will employ the successful applicant under a contract of service for the duration of the placement. Should you have any queries or require any further information on this role or the services we provide please contact email@example.com or call 01572 723419.
|Hours Per Week||37.00|
Closed - no further applications permitted